Main Navigation


Home First Year Students First Year Student FAQS

First Year Student FAQS

  • Your university ID is called your uNID. This number will not change as long as you are associated with the university.

    Your acceptance letter from the Admissions Office includes your uNID. If you have lost, or have not received your acceptance letter, then you may look up your uNID online. Go to the Campus Information Services and click on the Forgot your uNID? link under the sign on. You will be required to verify your last name, date of birth, and social security number.

  • Verify that you are typing the correct password and you are logging into Campus Information Services. Passwords are case sensitive. If you are still unable to login you may reset your password online through Campus Information Services or in person with picture ID at the Registration/Records service window.

  • You must have a signed release from your student stating he/she gives you permission to reset the password. Bring the release to the Registration Service window (Student Services Building, 2nd floor, window 13) with a picture ID during regular office hours for assistance. If you are unable to obtain a release from the student, he/she must contact us directly.

  • All freshman/transfer undergraduate students are required to attend an orientation prior to registering for classes. Transfer students must also meet with an advisor before they are eligible to enroll.

    Non-matriculated students cannot enroll in classes until Open Enrollment.

    Graduate students may register during their assigned registration date.

  • Your registration date is the date and time that you may begin to register for classes. This is determined by your academic level and the number of hours completed at the University of Utah.

  • The reasons you may need a permission number/code include, but are not limited to: if the class is full, outside your major field of study, a graduate level course as an undergraduate student, or if the department requires all students to contact the professor prior to registering for the course.

    Permission numbers/codes are also required for all courses beginning the second week of the term.

  • Contact the instructor of the course. He/she should have permission number/codes to distribute to students. Some departments allow their office staff to issue permission number/codes in addition to or in place of the instructor. Some departments also have a permission number/code request form on their department webpage.

  • Log in to Campus Information Services, click on the "Registration" tile on your Student Homepage,  click on the "Add Class" link, choose the term, and then enter the "class number" or find the class by using the "class search". Select the class and enter the permission number/code in the permission number field. For more information visit the Registrar's website.

  • An audit grade can be elected in credit courses when no grade is desired. A course may be audited if it is not available to be taken as non-credit, and/or if a class is to be taken for personal benefit. Students auditing a course are not held responsible for completed course work or tests during the class. An audited course will show on a student's transcript with a 'V' grade and '0.00' as the awarded number of credit hours. Tuition and fees are assessed at the same rate as classes taken for credit.

    An international student may audit any class; however, these hours will not count towards the minimum number of credit hours required by the immigration regulations for maintaining lawful full time status.

    Students indicate their desire to audit a class at the Registration window (#13), on the second floor of the Student Services Building, or by calling (801) 581-8969 until the fourteenth calendar day of the term.

  • There are no restrictions on the number of credit hours undergraduates can enroll in during a given term; however, Campus Information Services limits registration to 19 credit hours until the open enrollment period begins. During the open enrollment period undergraduate students can register online for up to 24 credit hours. To register for more than 24 credit hours, contact the Registration Division by going to the registration window (#13) at the Office of the Registrar located on the second floor of the Student Services Building or by emailing

    Graduate students may only register for up to 16 credit hours online. Enrollment for more than 16 hours may be added through Registration with approval from the Graduate School.

  • After the last day to add classes, all permission numbers/codes are invalid for classes that have already begun. You must obtain a form from the registration window (#13) at the Office of the Registrar located on the second floor of the Student Services Building and follow its instructions before the class will be added.

  • Students should register for courses through the Campus Information Services during the appointment period through the first two weeks of the semester. A late add form is required beginning the third week of the term. The form may be obtained by coming to the registration indow (#13) at the Office of the Registrar located on the second floor of the Student Services Building.

  • To view the classes for which you are currently registered, log into Campus Information Services and select "view your class schedule" under the registration menu; you will need to specify which term you wish to view.

  • The Academic Calendar page has past, present and future calendars. These calendars include all important academic dates throughout the year including beginning and end dates for the semester.

  • For a listing of classes available by semester, see the Class Schedule.

  • As outlined here, the University recognizes that students may wish to use a name other than their legal name in most university systems or communications. As such, prior to graduation, it is possible for a student to request to use a Preferred Name on their diploma according the information below.

    To update the Preferred Name in CIS, please follow these steps:

    1. Login to CIS and then go to the Student Homepage tile.
    2. Click on the Profile tile, which is the one with your name and UNID on it, and then click on the Preferred name type row.
    3. Enter the new name information. (Last names cannot be changed via this method).
    4. Click the save button.

    PLEASE NOTE: A Diploma Name may be adjusted prior to graduation following the instructions above and criteria below. However, once a student graduates, any subsequent requests to change the Diploma Name must be done by following the process to change the Official Name (Primary Name) via the Change of Personal Information Form. Applicants who are also University of Utah employees must contact the Payroll Reporter for their department to officially change their name on University records.

  • Students should contact their academic department advisor to declare or change a major. Some departments may require additional preparation or procedures (application, interview, audition, or portfolio) before a student is admitted to a major.

  • We are happy to provide all our students with parking passes that work best for their needs. For more information or to sign up for a parking pass, click here. 

  • University of Utah students can access to UTA services at no extra charge using their UCard. To learn more, click here.

  • Yes you can! The University of Utah is committed to supporting biking as a legitimate transportation choice. For more information on bicycles on campus, visit

  • The U has over 450 active student organizations on campus.  including academic organizations, sport clubs, service and advocacy groups, social groups, fraternities & sororities, and everything in between. Students can explore the full list of active student organizations on Campus Connect.

    For questions, contact Erica Andersen at

  • All currently enrolled students have a Campus Connect profile. To access your profile, click the blue “sign in” button in the top right corner of the Campus Connect homepage and enter your CIS credentials. Once you are signed in, begin exploring involvement opportunities by visiting Campus Connect.

  • The Student Leadership & Involvement (SLI) office serves students by providing leadership and involvement opportunities within the department and by connecting students to these types of opportunities on campus. Students can set up an involvement consultation, ask questions, or browse through involvement opportunities on the SLI website.

    For questions, contact Erica Andersen at